I am a psychologist, but I’m also a mom & wife, which means I suffer from some of the same ailments, as you from time-to-time. One such ailment is restless legs. And, believe me, there’s nothing worse having “jumpy legs” at night when you have a full day ahead of you.
It’s uncomfortable and unrelenting, and the only thing that helps me is my weighted blanket.
The pressure from it helps calm my “jittery legs,” and helps me fall and stay asleep longer. Because of my blanket, I now sleep better than ever. Another ailment that plagues me just like it plagues you is anxiety. I, too get “anxious” sometimes.
The stress of “being all to all people” can take a toll on anyone – psychologist or not. I am not immune. Juggling life can be complicated and hard. But, guess what helps for those anxious moments?
My weighted blanket. The weight from it calms my nerves and helps me relax, so I feel rested and ready to take on the next day.
Lastly, I have Lupus, which means I suffer from body aches and stiffness regularly. My weighted blanket even works to reduce my chronic pain, so I am more productive at work and throughout the day. My weighted blanket has made a world of difference in my life.
Because let’s face it, good sleep is the best remedy for many of the ailments we all suffer from.
If you are looking for a way to get better quality sleep (longer and more soundly), look no more, because this article highlights the six best weighted blankets for adults.
Table of Contents
- What are Weighted Blankets for Adults?
- What is the Purpose of Weighted Blankets for Adults?
- How Do They Work for Adults?
- What Materials are Used in Weighted Blankets for Adults?
- How Heavy Should An Adult Weighted Blanket Be?
- What Does It Feel Like to Have a Weighted Blanket on Top of You?
- Benefits of Adult Weighted Blankets
- What Similarities Exist Between All Or Almost All Weighted Blankets for Adults?
- Top Weighted Blankets for Adults
- 1. Weighted Idea Blanket for Adults (Best Value)
- 2. Quility Premium Adult Weighted Blanket (Most Budget-Friendly)
- 3. BUZIO Weighted Blanket (Best for Chronic Stress, Fatigue & Anxiety)
- 4. YnM Bamboo Weighted Blanket for Adults (Best for Sensory Issues)
- 5. Degrees of Comfort Cooling Weighted Blanket (Best for Comfort & Cooling)
- 6. WONAP Cooling Weighted Blanket (Best for Couples)
- In Summary….
What are Weighted Blankets for Adults?
Weighted are blankets that are “heavier than the average” blanket. These blankets are comprised of square pockets that are formed in a crisscross pattern. Small pellets or glass or plastic beads fill the pockets and provide the “weight” for the blankets.
The extra weight triggers a deep pressure sensation that relaxes your central nervous system. It’s the same mechanism that causes massages and hugs to feel so relaxing – and for newborns to fall asleep after being swaddled.
Recent studies  suggest that the “weight” from the blanket lowers your cortisol level, the stress hormone, increases melatonin level, the “sleep hormone,” and boost your serotonin level, the “happy hormone” that improves your mood. The result? More sound sleep and a better mood the next day.
What is the Purpose of Weighted Blankets for Adults?
The purpose of weighted blankets is to help ease anxiety and pain, so you can fall asleep more quickly, sleep more soundly, and awaken feeling refreshed. This type of blanket improves your quality of life and sense of well-being, so you can accomplish your tasks for the day – work, housework, child-rearing, etc.
How Do They Work for Adults?
According to studies,  weighted blankets use deep touch pressure (DTP) to ease emotional and physical discomfort and pain, relax the body and mind and provide better quality sleep.
What Materials are Used in Weighted Blankets for Adults?
Weighted blankets are typically filled with plastic, glass, or sand pellets (beads). These pellets are sewn into the linings of the square pockets. The pellets add “bulk” to the blankets, so the “weight” or pressure is evenly distributed across your body.
Researchers  suggest that this “extra weight” may help decrease or eliminate chronic pain, anxiety, stress, restless legs, agitation, sensory issues, insomnia, and other ailments in some adults.
It is important to choose the right material for your weighted blanket because the type of pellets used can make a difference in how you feel after using the blanket.
Keep in mind that the best weighted blankets are typically made of pure cotton, a cotton/polyester mix, fleece, or wool.
Because cotton weighted blankets are hypoallergenic and soft – even most adults with allergies and sensitive skin can also enjoy their benefits. The great thing about cotton is it can help regulate your temp, so, you don’t become overheated and sweat beneath the blanket.
Wool weighted blankets are also beneficial because they provide “extra insulation or “cushioning,” during those chilly nights. This can be a huge advantage for those suffering from chronic muscle and joint pain.
Fleece weighted blankets are excellent for adults, who are sensitive or allergic to wool. Fleece is a hypoallergenic “sheep-like” fabric that is soft to the touch, silky in texture, and extremely light-weight. It dries quickly and still provides insulation when wet. Fleece is a type of polyester.
Because of its light-weight and insulation properties, a fleece weighted blanket will keep you cool and dry on those hot nights, and warm on the cold ones. As a result, fleece is often used in linings to provide warmth. Another plus? It is more durable than both wool and cotton.
Polyester is a “fiber textile” material that is both heavy-duty and long-lasting. It can remain “intact” after many cleanings, and it can last for many years. A plus of polyester? It is water-resistant and does not “break down” quickly or absorb unpleasant odors. A disadvantage of polyester? It’s not as “breathable” as cotton or wool, so it could cause you to “overheat.”
If you’re not quite sure you’re ready to go full-on polyester, you can always opt for a cotton/polyester blend. A cotton/polyester blend is ideal for adults, who want a long-lasting, but a hypoallergenic and soft weighted blanket. This blanket offers the best of both worlds – cotton and polyester.
Note: If you suffer from a respiratory, circulatory, or similar condition consult with your physician before using a weighted blanket.
How Heavy Should An Adult Weighted Blanket Be?
An adult weighted blanket typically weighs between 10 and 30 pounds, although the beginning weight of some blankets may begin 8 pounds or less. These weighted blankets work well for those, who prefer less pressure.
The weight should be between 5 and 10% of your body weight. For instance, if you weigh 160 pounds, the blanket you purchase should between 8 and 16 pounds, depending on how heavy you want the blanket to be.
In fact, according to a 2008 study,  vital sign metrics indicate that blankets weighing 30 pounds or less, in a reclined position, are safe.
What Does It Feel Like to Have a Weighted Blanket on Top of You?
A weighted blanket feels like a warm hug on top of you. It can also feel like a hug from a loved one or a warm, snuggly blanket enveloping you. The DTP is relaxing, calming, and soothing. The most effective weighted blankets for adults provide balanced DTP across your body to ease chronic pain, reduce anxiety, and provide better sleep.
A 2015 study  found that weighted blankets can help those, who suffer from sleep disorders and insomnia fall asleep more quickly and stay asleep for longer periods. Results suggest that weighted blankets can positively affect sleep quality.
Participants of the study reported that the weighted blankets were not only extremely comfortable but also helped them fall asleep more quickly and provided them with better sleep throughout the night.
According to a 2008 study,  approximately 63% of the participants reported a decline in anxiety after using a weighted blanket. Also, approximately 78% of participants reported that their weight blankets were not only comfortable but also calming.
Benefits of Adult Weighted Blankets
Similar to weighted blankets for kids, there are also a variety of benefits associated with adult weighted blankets, such as:
A Lower Cortisol Level
Cortisol is the hormone that triggers your fight-or-flight response. This response is warranted in times of danger, however, it can wreak havoc on your ability to fall asleep. Stress can cause your cortisol level to spike, making it almost impossible to get a good night’s rest.
Insomnia and a lack of quality sleep can also lead to an elevated cortisol level. Your high cortisol prevents you from getting quality sleep, and because you’re unable to get a good night’s rest, your cortisol level rises even higher. Thus begins the cycle of poor sleep and a host of ailments and health conditions.
Adult weighted blankets can break this cycle for some sleep-deprived adults. Quality sleep can lead to a lower cortisol level and a higher serotonin level (the hormone that is responsible for balancing your mood). Serotonin can also increase your production of melatonin, the chemical that helps you fall asleep.
What is “grounding?” “Grounding” evokes the same feeling you used to have when you would lie on the grass and stare up at the clouds, as a child. It’s the peacefulness that comes from being still.
According to researchers,  “grounding” can calm your mind and body. “Grounding” helps you become one with the world around you. Supporters  of “grounding” believe that the ground contains electrons that can help balance our bodily systems (electromagnetic forces).
Although this may sound strange or unbelievable, recent studies  suggest that “grounding” exercises, performed outside, along with sleeping outside can produce a calming effect on the body. Results  also indicate that “grounding” can reduce inflammation in the body, a common cause of autoimmune conditions and poor sleep.
An adult weighted blanket can have a similar impact on the body. More specifically, it can produce the same or nearly the same impact as lying on the ground or the surface of the Earth.
Although a weighted blanket won’t completely mimic the effects of the Earth’s magnetic field, you can still reap many of its benefits, simply from the gentle pressure of the weight on your body.
The DTP you receive from an adult weighted blanket can also ease your anxiety and calm your nervous system.
Supports Sound Sleep
An adult weighted blanket also supports sound sleep. The DTP from the blanket triggers nerves and receptors in your body, producing a sensation similar to being swaddled like a newborn. The result? You feel more relaxed, safe and secure, and “grounded.”
A recent study  found that adult weighted blankets can cause the body to release extra serotonin in the body. Serotonin is often called the “happy hormone” because it calms you and balances your mood, so you feel happier and more at peace. 
Other studies  have suggested that the brain tells the body to increase its production of serotonin in the body when certain pressure points are triggered. Serotonin can also improve your memory, which is why many adults purchase serotonin supplements.
So, in essence, an adult weighted blanket is like having a boost of serotonin in a blanket – without the extra cost and possible side-effects! Because this blanket produces a calming effect on the body, it helps you sleep better.
Improves Concentration & Focus
An adult weighted blanket can also improve your concentration and focus. Several recent studies have found that weighed vests, similar to weight blankets can boost your focus at work. One study  found that weighted vests helped employees with ADHD pay more attention to details and complete tasks within deadline.
Adult weighted blankets may also benefit those, who suffer from sensory overload. A recent study found that weighted vests may reduce or eliminate self-stimulating behaviors, such as fidgeting. 
The pressure from the blanket can help adults with sensory conditions, like autism, sense where their bodies end, and the “outside world” begins. A common issue for adults, who suffer from sensory overload.
Thus, because you no longer are distracted by “outside forces” you can focus and concentrate on daily tasks.
Reduces Stress & Eases Anxiety
If you spend most of the night tossing and turning because of racing thoughts, unrelenting worry, and constant anxiety, a weighted blanket for adults may be just what you need to get a good night’s rest. Understandably, anxiety is one of the top reasons why adults research and purchase these blankets.
Although research on adult weighted blankets is limited, a study  found that approximately 63% of insomniacs reported that adult weighted blankets helped them fall asleep more quickly and sleep better throughout the night.
This finding is important because insomnia and other sleep disorders can trigger anxiety and depression. So, getting proper sleep is paramount to get good mental health. A weighted blanket for adults can help you keep these symptoms under control.
Keep in mind, however, that even the best weighted blanket is not an alternative or substitute your prescribed treatment plan. However, this blanket could be a supplement to the treatment or therapy you’re receiving from a mental health professional.
Thus, a weighted blanket may ease your stress, calm your mind, and improve your mental health. Adults weighted blankets not only have the ability to relieve anxiety, but they can also lessen the effects of depression and trauma, and complement drug and alcohol treatments.
One study on weighted blankets or vests during dental procedures found that patients, who used these “devices” during dental cleanings and surgeries experienced less anxiety. These individuals also reported feeling calmer and more at peace, during the procedures. 
Thereby, researchers concluded that adult weighted blankets can trigger physiological changes in the central nervous system, causing some dental patients more at-ease during dental visits  Researchers have also found that adult weighted blankets can also reduce obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), Parkinson’s disease, and cerebral palsy symptoms in some individuals
Alleviate ADHD Symptoms
It can be challenging to focus and concentrate if you suffer from ADHD. This is especially true if one of your triggers activates your ADHD symptoms, making it hard to settle down. When a weighted blanket is added to your prescribed treatment plan, it can help reduce or eliminate unhealthy or negative behaviors and create healthier and more socially-acceptable ones.
Studies  have found that “weights” or pressure can create a calming effect on the body. The DTP of a weighted blanket can “ground” your nerves and halt overstimulation. The participants reported that surrounding themselves with adult weighted blankets when they were unable to settle down and focus, made them feel calmer and more “grounded,” focused, and “balanced.”
What Similarities Exist Between All Or Almost All Weighted Blankets for Adults?
Before we jump right into my selection of the best weighted blankets for adults, allow me to highlight some similar characteristics that *typically* exist in all or almost all adult weighted blankets, regardless of their size, shape, or weight.
All Weighted Blankets are Designed to Help Adults With:
- General Sleep Issues, Insomnia, and Other Sleep Disorders
- Poor Mood
- Anger and Irritability
- Poor Concentration and Focus
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Panic Attacks
- Restless Leg Syndrome and General Restlessness
- Racing Thoughts
- Chronic Pain
- Constant Stress
- Sensory Processing Issues – Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) and Autism
General Comfort Characteristics of Most Weighted Blankets for Adults
- Patterned pockets help to “balance” or evenly distribute the weight
- Micro-beads do not make noise as you move around, ensuring that you remain peacefully asleep throughout the night
- Promotes sound sleep
- Fits standard, queen, and king beds
- Soft and comfy material
- Quality materials, so the blanket is well-made, resistant, and long-lasting
- Good temperature control, so you do not overheat and sweat beneath it
General Health Benefits Associated with Weighted Blankets for Adults
- May provide relief, support, and comfort for agitation and restlessness
- Relaxing and soothing, so they are ideal for most sleep issues
- A natural sleep aid
- Encourages restful, all-night sleep
- May help adults, who are stressed, and who struggle to unwind and fall asleep
- May also be beneficial for adults, who do not have ailments or conditions, but who simply like the comfort that comes with heavy blankets
- May help ease your stress, apprehension, weariness, angst, and nervousness, so you sleeps better at night, and are more focused throughout the day
- May lower your risk of overstimulation, sensory issues, chronic pain, and other health-related symptoms
- May lessen nightmare and night terrors, so you feel more safe and secure at night
- May help you get a good night’s rest, so you awaken feeling refreshed and revitalized the next morning
Common Pros That Almost All Adult Weighted Blankets Share
- Is available at many different price-points, which makes it affordable for everyone
- May relieve stress and tension
- Promotes peacefulness and tranquility
- Comes in a wide variety of weights and sizes
- Is machine-washable, so it’s easy to clean and maintain
- Surrounds the body like a warm, cozy hug, which causes you to feel safe and secure
- Works well for adults, who have experienced trauma and those, who suffer from mood disorders (depression and bipolar disorder) and anxiety (OCD, PTSD, and panic attacks)
- Helps you sleep longer and deeper, so you feel rested and ready to accomplish tasks
- Improves the quality of your sleep
- Is noiseless or “quiet,” which means you hear virtually nothing when you shift during the night
- May help ease restlessness, agitation, and nervousness, so you can fall and stay asleep at night
- The weight is evenly distributed throughout the blanket
- Is not too heavy or hot for most adults
- Feels like a warm bear hug on top of your body
Common Cons That Almost Adult Weighted Blankets Share
- May be too warm for adults, who are “hot-natured”
- May be too restrictive for some adults
- May be uncomfortable for some adults, who suffer from mental or physical health issues
- May be too expensive or pricey for some people.
- Beads may move around in the blanket
- Beads may be hard to wipe up if they escape from the blanket
- Beads may be too loud for adults, who are hypersensitive to sounds
- The fabric may rip easily, leading to spillage
- May not distribute evenly throughout the blanket (as advertised). As a result, some areas of the blanket may feel empty or barren.
- May be too heavy or constricting for you to move or adjust once on top of you
- May be smaller or less bulky than originally advertised
- May have stitching and pocket issues
Top Weighted Blankets for Adults
1. Weighted Idea Blanket for Adults (Best Value)
According to my adult client, the Weighted Ideal Blanket is the best option for adults. The Weighted Ideal Blanket is the best option because it provides quality sleep for those, who suffer from restless leg syndrome, insomnia, and anxiety.
My clients have reported to me that although the blanket is “heavier than average,” it is not too heavy as to be overwhelming or overbearing. It’s just right when it comes to the amount of pressure it places on your body. Thus, to the average adult, it feels like a warm bear hug.
As a result of using this blanket, many of my anxiety-ridden adult clients have reported the blanket not eased their anxiety symptoms and panic attacks, but also improved their quality of sleep.
The one thing my adult clients love most about this particular blanket is the temperature-control. Because this blanket is made of cotton and microfiber materials, it prevents you from becoming hot and sweaty, while you sleep.
Another plus is that it is made from non-toxic, hypoallergenic materials, which means the risk of allergic reactions and chemical side-effects is extremely low.
Lastly, my adult clients liked that the Weighted Ideal Blanket is odorless, which means it doesn’t start to smell after several weeks of use.
This weighted blanket comes in a variety of sizes and pounds, which means that most adults can comfortably and safely use this blanket without any problems.
Especially Designed for Adults Who Suffer From:
- Restless Leg Syndrome, Anxiety & Insomnia
- Feels like a deep, cozy hug on your body
- Two microfiber layers that are designed to prevent you from becoming “too hot” while sleeping
- Glass beads have been expertly sewn into individualized “pockets” to limit or prevent noise when you shift or move throughout the night
- OEKO-registered, which means it is hypoallergenic and free of harmful chemicals
- Soft and comprised of 100% cotton
- Can be used during all seasons
- Versatile – can be used for many different occasions, such as napping, lounging, or sleeping
Note: The creators of the Weighted Ideal Blanket suggest you base the weight of the blanket on 7-12% of your body weight. If you are worried that the blanket may be too heavy for you, learn more towards 7% of your body weight.
Available Weights & Sizes (36” x 48,” 48” x 78” & 60” x 80”)
- 15 lbs.
- 20 lbs.
- 22 lbs.
- 25 lbs.
- Dark Grey
- Light Grey
- Light Pink
- Navy Blue
- Sewn to ensure even distribution throughout the blanket
- May come with a luxurious plush duvet cover that is easy to remove and clean (details are murky)
- Retains its structure and form after many cleanings
- Is ideal for a variety of health issues and conditions
- Available in a wide variety of sizes and weights
- Offered in multiple colors
- Two breathable microfiber layers, so you don’t overheat
- May calm agitated nerves, a leading contributor of anxiety, insomnia, and restless leg syndrome
- Relaxes the body, so you can receive sound and peaceful sleep
- Beads are not secured, which means they could leak or spill
- Expect some shifting, even though the beads are secured in patterned pockets
- May be smaller than advertised
- May be too heavy for some users
- May not receive a separate duvet cover with purchase (details are murky)
- May take 7-10 days to adjust to the blanket
Note: A 15 lb. weighted blanket is ideal for an adult, who weighs approximately 140 lbs. The 60″x80″ weighted blanket is ideal for an adult, who has a queen-size bed.Click here to see today's price for the Weighted Idea Blanket for Adults on Amazon
Another weighted blanket many of my clients enjoy using is the Quility Premium Adult Weighted Blanket. They love this blanket because it comes with a removable minky duvet cover. Minky material is good for those with sensory issues. It is also super soft and comforting which is essential for adults, who suffer from anxiety, ADHD, insomnia, or chronic pain.
Another benefit of this blanket is that it comes with ties, which prevent it from sliding around on the bed. And, although this blanket adds pressure or weight to the body, it doesn’t feel smothering like some of the other weighted blankets for adults.
Some clients remarked how “quiet” this weighted blanket is, as opposed to some of the other weighted blankets they have used in the past. They also like that the blanket isn’t bulky and can lay flat on the bed.
A couple of clients even reported to me that the Quility Premium Adult Weighted Blanket helped them “fall asleep quicker, reduced their tossing and turning, and helped them feel better the next morning.”
Others reported that the blanket makes them feel “tighter and more secure” in the bed, so they were less inclined to play on their smartphones or tablets all night. It also “calmed their minds,” so they didn’t feel the need to shoot up and start doing things in the middle of the night – like before.
As a result of these features, the clients, who have purchased this specific weighted blanket, swear by it for a good night’s rest – a good night’s rest that is free of physical and emotional pain, angst, worry, racing thoughts, and ADHD symptoms.
Especially Designed for Adults Who Suffer From:
- Provides sensory stimulation for those, who want to feel the pressure from the blanket
- Made of premium soft and resilient materials
- Not too heavy or hot, so you can sleep without worrying about waking up a puddle of sweat in the morning
- Utilizes DTP (deep touch pressure) to relax your body and ease pain and anxiety
- Minky duvet to keep users cool in the summer and warm during the winter months
- Extremely soft and comfortable
- Beading and material are “non-distracting” so they are non-triggering for adults, who suffer from ADHD
- Feels like a deep bear hug, which is calming for those, who are experiencing racing thoughts or hyperactivity before bed
- 100% breathable cotton material
- Lead-free glass bead technology
Available Weights & Sizes (48”x 72,” 60”x 80,”86”x 92”)
- 15 lbs.
- 20 lbs.
- 25 lbs.
- 30 lbs.
- Grey Cotton Blanket + Aqua Minky Cover
- Grey Cotton Blanket + Grey Minky Cover
- Grey Cotton Blanket + Navy Blue Minky Cover
- Grey Cotton Blanket + Patterns Minky Cover
- Light Grey Cotton Blanket + Ivory Minky Cover
- Light Grey Cotton Blanket + Pink Minky Cover
- Triggers dopamine and serotonin production, which allows you to sleep more soundly and awaken energized, refreshed, and revitalized
- “Natural sleep aid” for insomniacs and those, who suffer from sleep disorders
- Encourages longer and better quality sleep
- May also be beneficial for adults, who suffer from sensory processing issues, such as Asperger’s and Autism
- Affordable, so you won’t be forced to sacrifice your whole check to purchase it
- Beads may not be secure in the stitched squares causing them to move around in the blanket
- May measure smaller than advertised
- May not be constructed well – i.e. broken stitches, missing loops, and spilling beads or sand
- May have a chemical smell when removed from the packaging, preventing sound sleep
- May be too hot for some users
3. BUZIO Weighted Blanket (Best for Chronic Stress, Fatigue & Anxiety)
Another weighted blanket many of my adult clients love is the BUZIO Weighted Blanket. The thing they love most is that it’s returnable, which means a person can send it back and receive a full refund if it doesn’t work for them.
Another thing they love about this particular blanket is it’s not overwhelming in size or weight. More specifically, they reported that this adult weighted blanket feels lighter than some of the other ones on the market.
And, because it’s lighter, it doesn’t make them sweat, despite the extra weight. My clients also reported that they like how it comes with bed ties, so the blanket doesn’t slide off the bed.
Moreover, they love that this blanket can be ordered as a “throw” or as a queen-size blanket to be draped over the bed. It’s also designed for one person, so their partners are not held “prisoner” to it. Lastly, they like that it’s well-constructed, so they don’t have to awaken to a puddle of “crystals” or beads.
A client, who suffers from unrelenting anxiety, nervousness, stress, and fatigue, stated that BUZIO blanket is providing her with “deep, restful sleep” for the first time in years. As a result, she can attest that this blanket works. She reported to me that since purchasing this adult weighted blanket, she has begun to dream again.
She used to have terrible nightmares and night terrors. But, she is no longer kept awake by racing thoughts, nervousness, and worry. She can now fall asleep quickly and stay asleep throughout the night.
Because of this adult weighted blanket, she awakens each morning feeling rested and better prepared for the day’s challenges. Anxiety no longer rules his life – or sleep. This blanket is not only cozy and comforting but also a natural remedy for nervousness and anxiousness.
Especially Designed for Adults Who Suffer From:
- Stress, Fatigue & Nervousness
- Feels like a snug warm hug on your body
- Breathable, skin-friendly, and non-toxic to deliver the best performance
- Provides a sense of coziness
- Offers anxiety relief and soothes you, so you can fall asleep quickly
- Glass beads to keep you dry and cool throughout the night
- Duvet cover also available for purchase for added comfort
- Five-layer structure that makes the heavy blanket feel much thinner and more breathable than the 7-layer ones
Available Weights & Sizes (36” x 48,” 41”x 60,” 48” x 72,” 60”x 80”)
- 5 lbs. (Throw size)
- 7lbs. (Throw size)
- 10 lbs. (Throw size)
- 15 lbs.
- 18 lbs.
- 20 lbs.
- 22 lbs.
- 25 lbs.
Note: The 15 lb. weighted blanket is designed for adults, who weigh between 140 and 190 lbs. (60 x 80 inches). It is recommended that you select a blanket that weighs between 7 and 12% of your body weight. If you usually sleep on your side, or have joint pain, especially in the knees, hips, or back, err on the side of caution and select a lighter option.
- Dark Grey
- Light Grey
- Navy Blue
- White/Ice Silk
- Comes with a 12-month guarantee so you can return it if it doesn’t work for you
- Affordable, so it won’t “break the bank”
- The perfect size to hug your back all night long
- Helps ease anxiety, worry, and concern, so you can fall and stay asleep during the night
- Beneficial for those dealing with stress-induced insomnia
- Comes in neutral colors, so it is appealing to both males and females
- Comes in “throw sizes” and twin and queen sizes
- Affordable – not the most expensive adult weighted blanket on the market
- Oeko-TEX Standard Cool Cotton
- May be heavy to lift when positioning the blanket on the bed or on your body
- May not work for all users
- Beads or “crystals” may leak or spill from the blanket
- The beads may shift causing the blanket to feel uneven
- May be too heavy for some users
- May not be constructed well – unraveling stitches, small holes or tears, etc.
- The weight and size may be incorrectly advertised
- Only big enough for one person – not designed for couples
4. YnM Bamboo Weighted Blanket for Adults (Best for Sensory Issues)
Some of my adult clients, who are experiencing emotional and physical distress, and are unable to sleep at night, report that the YnM Bamboo Weighted Blanket has made a world of difference not only in their ability to get a good night’s rest but also in their general quality of life.
One of my clients, who is not only a chronic insomniac but also a restless leg syndrome sufferer, that one of this blanket’s best features is its “smoothness.” She explained that her past weighted blankets were lumpy and uncomfortable.
She stated that she also really likes that the beads are made of glass and the material is bamboo, which she finds “much cooler and softer” than the blankets she’s used in the past.
Another client, who was plagued with chronic emotional and physical pain, reported to me that although he was skeptical of weighted blankets at first, after using the YnM Bamboo Weighted Blanket, he is now a believer the benefits of weighted blankets.
For the first time in years, he is falling asleep quicker and staying asleep all night long. He can finally get the good night’s sleep he’s been desperate for.
Yet, another client, who suffers from PTSD, reported that the thing she loves most about this blanket is its “bamboo feel” – soft, silky, cool, and luxurious. She shared with me how one night she was mentally and physically drained from a busy and challenging day, so she retired to bed a couple of hours early.
Normally, she would either have a hard time falling asleep once her head hit her pillow or would wake up multiple times through the night – frustrated, restless, and wide-awake. She used the YnM Bamboo Weighted Blanket that night and asleep in record-breaking time!
She also told me she stayed asleep and didn’t awaken until her alarm went off the next morning. This client normal takes sedatives to help her sleep, but she didn’t have to take them that night. She fell asleep naturally.
Especially Designed for Adults Who Suffer From:
- Sensory Issues – Autism, Asperger’s & Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)
- Premium-grade weighted blanket that helps relax your body by mimicking the sensation of being held or hugged
- Cool-to-the-touch bamboo fabric and glass beads offer a high heat capacity, which not only keeps you cool at night but also makes you feel as if you are sleeping in a bed at a 5-star hotel
- “Breathable” material and Less fiber-fill to maintain your body temperature, as you sleep
- Is offered in bamboo viscose, a type of fabric that is more resilient than cotton alone. Bamboo fiber is anti-bacterial and anti-UV radiation, so it absorbs and evaporates sweat and moisture easily. As a result, you remain cool even during the hottest months.
- With the deep touch and cool feel of bamboo weighted blankets, you can fall asleep quicker and stay asleep longer
- Ultra-soft, silky smooth 300-thread count bamboo viscose filled with thinner poly-fill and premium glass beads
- Feels “thinner” than other adult weighted blankets, yet still provides the “heaviness” of a traditional weighted blanket
- Made with all-natural, skin-friendly materials
Available Weights & Sizes (48” x 72” & 60” x 80”)
- 15 lbs.
- 20 lbs.
- 25 lbs.
Note: Blanket weight should be based on your bodyweight. For example, a 10 lb., 41″x 60″ blanket is suitable for an adult, who weights between 70 and 100 lbs. This blanket can fit a twin bed.
- Khaki Flower
- Blue Grey
- Sea Grass
- Light Grey
- Keeps adults, who get hot easily and perspire during the night, cool
- Affordable & Risk-Free (3-year warranty)
- Comes in a variety of designs and colors
- Multiple duvets available for purchase
- Three-dimensional lock bead sewing method to prevent bead spillage or leakage and ensure even weight distribution throughout the blanket
- May be beneficial for a variety of health conditions and issues, such as insomnia, PTSD, anxiety, depression, restless leg syndrome, and chronic pain
- Comforting and soothing
- Sizes may be inaccurate – measures smaller than advertised
- May not work for all issues or conditions
- May be too heavy for some users to move properly
- May not be constructed well – i.e. broken stitches, missing loops, lumps, and leaking or spilling beads
- May cause warm-natured users to sweat while they sleep
- May experience uneven weight distribution throughout the blanket
5. Degrees of Comfort Cooling Weighted Blanket (Best for Comfort & Cooling)
My clients are dealing with a lot, which often prevents them from sleeping soundly at night. Some are suffering from anxiety or depression and some are suffering from personal, family, relationship, or job stress.
When my clients are unable to obtain a good night’s rest, it affects how they function in their everyday lives and how they perform during counseling sessions.
A lack of sleep affects their focus and concentration, tolerance, energy, and patience. It affects how they see themselves, others, their issues, and the counseling session. Therefore, it is extremely important they get the resources they need to obtain quality sleep.
That is why I often recommend a weighted blanket to my adult clients, who are unable to sleep for some reason. Now, this doesn’t replace their prescribed treatment plan, but it can be used to supplement, support, or enhance it. It’s natural and safe for most people.
One of my clients reported that he likes the Degrees of Comfort Cooling Weighted Blanket mainly because it doesn’t cause him to sweat like a “banshee” during the night. According to this client, this particular blanket has changed his life – for the better.
For the past decade, he’s been unable to sleep due to personal and relationship issues. He would often awaken around 2 am due to constant tossing and turning in the bed. His “thrashing” would cause him to wake up exhausted and in a puddle of sweat.
But, after he started using the blanket that all changed. He started staying asleep all night! When he awakened the next morning he felt refreshed and energized. For the first time in a long time, he felt productive. The blanket made him feel “brand new.”
Another client, who didn’t have a problem falling and staying asleep, but was pleasantly surprised to receive even better sleep after using the Degrees of Comfort Cooling Weighted Blanket.
Not only did she fall asleep within minutes of lying down, but she also experienced a deeper sleep. The blanket was cool, comfortable, and felt like a “deep soothing hug.” It was extremely comfortable for her.
Especially Designed for Adults Who Want:
- Comfort & A Good Night’s Rest
- Zoning configuration puts 80% of the weight on the outer ends of the blanket, allowing produces a rehabilitating relaxation of deep pressure stimulation, while also reducing the accumulation of heat in the center of the blanket
- Internal cotton insert to provide a higher level of airflow and maintain temperature-control, while you sleep
- “Breathable” outer cover, consisting of 50% nylon and 50% polyester
- Nano-ceramic beads that help you experience peace and tranquility during the night
- Made with long-lasting fiber-stitching & premium materials
- Comes with loops and bed ties to prevent shifting during movement
- A natural sleep aid
Available Weights & Sizes (60” x 80”)
- 18 lbs.
- Calms the mind and body
- Cover is included
- 365-day money-back-guarantee
- Provides cool, soothing pressure without causing you to feel smothered or overwhelmed
- Helps you fall asleep without the aid of synthetic sleep aids
- May also help reduce or alleviate the symptoms of a variety of health issues and conditions, such as insomnia, anxiety and nervousness, fatigue and exhaustion, racing thoughts, and restlessness, nightmares and night terrors, and continuous tossing and turning
- Heavy, but not too heavy for most users
- Can use this blanket in a variety of settings, such as in the car, on the couch, on the bed, in the airport, etc.
- More expensive than the average adult weighted blanket
- Not machine-washable
- Beads may gather or “lump up” in one area causing uneven distribution
- May be too hot or heavy for some users, causing them to feel stifled or sweaty during the night
- Limited designs and colors – only offered in grey
- Limited adult sizes and weights – only offered in 60” x 80” and 18 lbs.
- May not be constructed well – i.e. broken stitches, missing loops, and spilling beads
Click here to see today’s price for the Degrees of Comfort Cooling Weighted Blanket on AmazonClick here to see today's price for the Degrees of Comfort Cooling Weighted Blanket on Amazon
6. WONAP Cooling Weighted Blanket (Best for Couples)
Many of my adult clients seek counseling because of “ ongoing relationship issues.” Many seek counseling because they no longer feel “connected” to each other. Often, aging, time, children, and work responsibilities have caused them to drift away from each other.
These individuals and couples want to know how to rekindle the spark in their relationships, so they can be better lovers, partners, human beings, employees, and parents. With these clients, I often suggest getting a couples weighted blanket to use at home. I explain to them that a weighed blanket for couples can make them feel more “connected.”
More specifically, the “weight” or “pressure” from the blanket discourages them from getting up and walking away. It forces them to “deal with one another” in close confines. It also helps them relax, so they can enjoy each other’s company – before falling soundly asleep.
A blanket that my couples swear by is the WONAP Cooling Weighted Blanket for Couples. It’s huge! And, according to these clients, it’s not too heavy or hot for both people either.
A couple of my adult clients, who suffer from chronic nerve pain, especially like that this blanket is super soft and silky with texture. People, who are suffering from health issues like sensory processing disorder (SPD), autism spectrum disorder (ASD), chronic pain, and anxiety appreciate the texture, because it’s calming to them. And, for some, WONAP Cooling Weighted Blanket for Couples has provided relief when prescribed medications haven’t worked.
Another client, who suffers from anxiety, depression, insomnia, and stress-induced migraine headaches, and who uses this blanket “religiously,” reported that this particular weighted blanket was not only spacious and comfortable but also eased her “frazzled nerves” and helped her relax.
The best part was that her husband didn’t mind getting beneath it with her. In other words, it wasn’t overwhelming for him. As a result, her stress and tension were eased, and she was able to fall asleep and stay asleep all night. She no longer spends most of her night tossing and turning, which has caused her chronic pain to lessen.
Especially Designed for Couples Who:
- Couples, who want a blanket big enough to cover both of them
- Extremely soft and luxurious
- Made of natural bamboo fabric, is designed for year-round use. Bamboo is considered a “breathable smart fabric,” which takes into account various humidity levels.
- Glass beads keep you cool all-night-long, so you don’t awaken the next morning in a puddle of sweat
- A 4″x4″ size diamond design that prevents the glass beads from moving and making noise, while you sleep
- Dense stitches and the durable thread prevents glass beads leaking or spilling with movement
- 100% “breathable” natural bamboo fabric.
- Ultra-soft cotton inside compartments.
- Hypoallergenic, non-toxic, and odorless premium materials
- Even weight distribution throughout the blanket
Available Weights & Sizes (86” x 92”)
- 20 lbs.
- 25 lbs.
- 30 lbs.
Note: It is recommended that the weight of the blanket be between 8% and 12% of your body weight. The best size for couples is 25 lbs. or 30 lbs. and 86″x 92.”
- Works well for couples, who want to cuddle up beneath a cozy, soothing, blanket
- Also accommodates single person use and can fit on twin, queen, and king-size beds
- Is an extra-large blanket big enough to easily accommodate two people of almost any size
- Offers a full refund if you are dissatisfied with the product
- Can be used during all seasons
- Calms your mind and body, so you can relax and fall into a deep sleep
- Reduces tossing and turning at night, so you can sleep more peacefully and awaken feeling refreshed
- Cooler than most other adult weighted blankets currently on the market
- May be beneficial for a variety of health conditions, such as anxiety, insomnia, depression, and even nerve pain
- More expensive than some other adult weighted blankets on the market
- May not be constructed well – i.e. broken stitches, missing loops, and spilling or leaking beads
- The duvet bed ties (sold separately) may not be strong enough to prevent the blanket from sliding on the bed. As a result, the duvet may tear with continual weight.
- May not work for every couple
- May be too hard to move, hot, or heavy to move for some couples, making it hard to sleep comfortably beneath it
- May not be as “breathable” as advertised
Sleep is the foundation of all that you do. It can affect many areas of your life from your self-esteem and self-confidence to your mental and physical health. It can even affect your appearance and how you present to the world. When you receive a good night’s sleep, you awaken feeling refreshed and revitalized, which means you’re better equipped to tackle any obstacles and challenges that come your way.
You also have more energy to accomplish your daily tasks. Therefore, sleep helps you be more productive at work, play longer after work, and spend your time doing other things – without the aid of multiple cups of coffee each day. So, if you are an adult, who is desperate for some real sleep, you may want to consider a warm snuggly weighted blanket.
You can get the REM-filled Zzzzz you’ve been praying for simply by investing in this natural sleep aid. An adult weighted blanket can lower your cortisol level, ease anxiety, and improve your mood; it can also help many health conditions, including restless leg syndrome and ADHD.
Therefore, if you are looking for the “best quality” weighted blanket, I highly recommend the “Weighted Idea Blanket for Adults.” This adult weighed blanket offers everything you need for a relaxing, stress-free night. However, if you are looking for most of the same “bells and whistles” as the more luxurious blankets (at half the cost), I recommend the “Quility Premium Adult Weighted Blanket.”
But, if your main goal is simply to sleep longer and better at night, I suggest you invest in the “BUZIO Weighted Blanket.” This blanket will melt your stress away so you sleep better than you have in decades. Lastly, if you are interested in an adult weighted blanket that you can share with a loved one, you may want to consider purchasing the “WONAP Cooling Weighted Blanket for Couples.”
My clients tell me that this blanket not only improved their quality of sleep, but also helped them feel closer and more in-tune with their partners. So, when selecting an adult weighted blanket is extremely important to select the one that best suits your needs.
- Losinski, M., Cook, K., Hirsch, S., & Sanders, S. (2017). The effects of deep pressure therapies and antecedent exercise on stereotypical behaviors of students with autism spectrum disorders. Behavioral Disorders, 42(4), 196–208.
- Kington, A. (2016). Forty pounds of sheer bliss. Macleans, 129(4), 59.
- Mullen, B., Champagne, T., Krishnamurty, S., Dickson, D., & GAO, R. X. (2008) Exploring the safety and therapeutic effects of deep pressure stimulation using a weighted blanket. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 24(1), 65-89.
- Ackerley, R., Badre, G., & Olausson, H. (2015). Positive effects of a weighted blanket on insomnia. Journal of Sleep Medicine & Disorders.
- Wulff, D., & St. George, S. (2007). Family therapy: You make me feel like dancing. Contemporary Family Therapy: An International Journal, 29(1), 87–97.
- Trogdon, K. (2018). Grounding-mechanical explanation. Philosophical Studies, 175(6), 1289–1309.
- Sansby, J. (2018). Help! I’ve got an alarm bell going off in my head: How panic, anxiety, and stress affects your body. Healthcare Counselling & Psychotherapy Journal, 18(1), 30.
- de Permentier, P. (2016). An anatomical and physiological evaluation of chronic stress. Journal of the Australian Traditional-Medicine Society, 22(4), 216–220.
- Buckle, F., Franzsen, D., & Bester, J. (2011). The effect of the wearing of weighted vests on the sensory behavior of learners diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder within a school context. South African Journal of Occupational Therapy, 41(3), 36–42.
- Cox, A. L., Gast, D. L., Luscre, D., & Ayres, K. M. (2009). The effects of weighted vests on appropriate in-seat behaviors of elementary-age students with autism and severe to profound intellectual disabilities. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 24(1), 17–26.
- Stein, L. I., Lane, C. J., Williams, M. E., Dawson, M. E., Polido, J. C., & Cermak, S. A. (2014). Physiological and behavioral stress and anxiety in children with autism spectrum disorders during routine oral care. BioMed Research International, 1–10.
- McDougle, C. J., Epperson, C. N., Pelton, G. H., Wasylink, S., & Price, L. H. (2000). A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of Risperidone addition in serotonin reuptake inhibitor–refractory obsessive-compulsive disorder. Archives of General Psychiatry, 57(8), 794.