There are so many hoverboard deals still available right now…. it’s amazing!
Here are our favorite discounts for today:
Today’s Deals:The following products are on sale right now at Amazon. Click on each item to see more colors/sizes.
TOMOLOO Hoverboard and Smart Scooter Two-Wheel Self Balancing Electric Scooter with Light - Black Hover Board with UL2272 Certified for Battery Protection…
Price: Out of stock
SagaPlay F1 Pro Self Balancing Scooter Motorized 2 Wheel Self Hover Balance Board (Black, Bluetooth Speaker Enable) [CSA/UL2272 Certified] All-Terrain Tires Transporter for Kid and Adult [Model: F1]
What Else You Need to Know
If you’re on the market for a hoverboard you may have noticed that there are a bunch of available brands out there.
So we’ve put together a little guide to help you distinguish between the most popular models, compare them and see which one might be the best purchase for you – discounted or not:
Table of Contents
More About Hoverboards
Self-balancing scooters were invented in its current form as early as 2013.
The reason you will find so many different brands while shopping for one, is that this product has been the subject of several complex patent disputes ever since.
Every manufacturer will have its own story. For example, Shane Chen was the first American to file a patent for this device in February 2013.
Later that year, it was revealed that the Chinese technology company Chic Robotics already held the patents for several types of technology deeply related to the hoverboard.
Ever since, hoverboards have been manufactured widely in China. Several lawsuits have occurred ever since, and even some major recalls with faulty units that have caught fire while on use. Hmmm…
So how do you know, in 2017, which Hoverboard might be the safest bet? Let’s take a look at some of the most popular models (some of which we’ve already mentioned).
How To Buy A Hoverboard
Are these things safe yet? How do you buy one that you know won’t catch fire? Believe it or not, these were common questions with hoverboards around 2015.
Today, the market is somewhat better regulated and you can be more at ease regarding your safety while hoverboarding.
But that still leaves you with a ton of options. Fortunately, sites like Tech Advisor have tackled the task of rating the best hoverboards of 2017.
When comparing between various hoverboards, you need to take into account factors such as wheel size, maximum weight, and country of origin. Let’s take a look at each of these:
- Wheel Size: The basic rule of thumb here would be “the smaller the wheel size, the less terrain it will be able to handle”. Smaller wheels are fine for smooth surfaces, but will probably underperform on uneven ground.The generic size is between 6.5 and 7 inches, but you can also find hoverboards with 8 and 10in wheels. 8-in-wheels, for example, provide a higher level of stability but preserve a somewhat small and compact form on the hoverboard. The 10in variant is of course better for off-roading, but it results in a sturdier, heavier board.
- Weight: While shopping for a hoverboard, be sure to find out both the weight of the board and the weight it can handle from the rider. 7in overboards carry about 100 kg, or around 220 pounds. If you’re a heavier rider, this is certainly a thing to consider, as well as the nuisance that it might be to carry this thing around if it’s too heavy.
- Country of Origin: In a nutshell, many tech-related sites advise against buying from China. Most of the cases of hoverboards being recalled, both in the U.S. and the U.K., have had to do with hoverboards imported from the Jade Empire.The reason for this, according to Tech Advisor, is that many Chinese manufacturers produce their own non-branded hoverboards at much lower price points.So it’s best to check where each hoverboard is made and also whether the seller can prove that their boards are compliant with all applicable safety standards. Some of these are UN.38.3 and UL 1642 for batteries, UL 60950-1 for the charger.
That being said, most major retailers wouldn’t be caught dead selling hoverboards that don’t comply with these standards. But be weary if you’re buying from smaller online retailers (such as Smart Balance Wheels) or even through Amazon.
Most Popular Hoverboards
Finally, let’s take a look at the models that are regarded as the safest and most reliable.
You’ll notice that several of these are simply not featured in the Cyber Monday and Black Friday deals that have been announced so far (even from the major retailers), but hope dies last. It’s only a matter of time until we know for sure if some of these will be discounted or not.
But either way, it may help to know what’s the top of the line when it comes to hoverboards before you pull the trigger on anything. Take a look:
Xiaomi Ninebot Plus
This one features two 400W motors and has the rider leaning forward or backwards in order to propel the device.
Razor Hovertrax 2.0
You may recall this one for being on sale at Amazon right now. It’s UL certified and does everything you would hope a hoverboard would to.
This one boasts four hours of riding time from a single charge. It features a Samsung battery and a distinct elegant design.
An 8in hoverboard with a built-in Bluetooth speakers. As quite a unique feature, it has two riding modes (practice and pro).
Priced at $1499, this one features a less futuristic design but much more original. As its name suggests, it has a single big wheel in the middle instead of two at each side. It can do 15mph and rides as a normal skateboard. That means, you stand moving towards one of your sides rather than moving frontally.
Finally, there’s the higher end of the Ninebot. It’s also a single wheel but it does allow you to move facing front. It weighs only 14kg and doesn’t have a single screw or plastic joint in its futuristic-looking exterior.
So there you have it! Be sure to read up thoroughly about the hoverboard that interests you the most, and don’t let hot discounts distract you from choosing quality.
In the end, it might be worth to save up a bit more rather than ending up with a less than satisfactory product.
What Else Should You Consider Getting on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?
- Drone Cyber Monday and Black Friday deals
- Fitbit Cyber Monday and Black Friday deals
- GoPro Cyber Monday and Black Friday deals
- Bike Cyber Monday and Black Friday deals
And whatever you decide to get… happy hoverboarding!